What’s In the Kit
- Garlic & parsley marinade
- 1 tsp BBQ spice
- Garlic butter
- Choice of protein – sirloin steak (diced), or prawns (frozen), or chicken thigh (skewered)
- Bamboo skewers
- 1 whole lemon
What You’ll Need
- Salt / pepper
- BBQ & tools
- 2 plates for marinating / grilling
- A small paring knife
- Brush for painting garlic butter
What You Do
Read these instructions from start to finish before beginning to prepare the kit
- Thaw the prawns by spreading them out on a plate at room temperature if using right away (this should take about 20 minutes) or in the refrigerator overnight.
- Let garlic butter come to room temperature.
- Mix the garlic & parsley marinade with the protein. Add salt, pepper and the BBQ spice and mix well – let stand 30 minutes.
- Fire up the BBQ to preheat
- Skewer away
- Divide the protein between two of the skewers
- Don’t have all the pieces packed together, have the pieces just touching on the skewer. This promotes more even and quicker cooking (except for the chicken, we’ve taken care of this step for you!)
- Cut the lemon in half and place cut side down on the grill. Grill until lightly charred – approximately 4-5 minutes
- Grill the seasoned skewers – starting them on the hot spot of the grill
ProTip – Leave them alone for better results. They will char nicely if left alone. Closing lid turns the BBQ into an oven and increases the temp.
For the protein skewers, cooking time will vary slightly with done-ness preference and with how powerful your BBQ is. Here are our suggestions:
- Chicken skewer: The chicken should be well-browned and have lightly charred edges, and should take approximately 8-9 minutes per side on a hot grill. This may take longer that the time indicated, depending on your BBQ.
- Chef note – Make sure the chicken has GREAT caramelization on both sides. It is hard to overcook chicken thighs, so be brave!
- Steak skewer: Cook the steak to your desired doneness on the hottest part of your BBQ to maximize browning and flavour, approximately 6- 7 minutes per side on a hot grill.
- Prawn skewer: Cook them on a cooler spot of your BBQ as seafood requires a bit gentler heat. The prawns will be opaque and firm once cooked, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
To finish the skewers: The protein skewers should be brushed with garlic butter to finish. Use the charred lemon to squeeze over the skewers.