Skewer Yourself BBQ Kit
What’s In the Kit
- 2 ears of corn on the cob
- Feta cheese
- Garlic aioli
- 1 whole lime
- Blackening spice
- Yukon gold potatoes, cooked
- Garlic aioli
- Corn kernels
- Bacon bits
- Green onions
- Garlic & parsley marinade
- Garlic butter
- Whole button mushrooms, washed
- Red peppers
- Red onions
- Bamboo skewers
- Choice of protein – sirloin steak (diced), or prawns (frozen), or chicken thigh (skewered)
- 1 tsp bbq spice
- 1 whole lemon
What You’ll Need
- Salt / pepper
- BBQ & tools
- 2 plates for marinating / grilling
- Small paring knife
- Brush for painting garlic
- Butter & garlic aioli
- Spoons to mix the potato salad
- Bowls to toss the potato salad
- Tin foil for potatoes (if using the BBQ method)
What You Do
READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING TO COOK
Easy steps to coordinate timing – detailed recipes below
STEP ONE: Marinate protein and vegetables for 30 minutes
STEP TWO: Preheat oven, preheat BBQ, let garlic butter come to room temperature
STEP THREE: Cook the corn on BBQ, 20-25 minutes; potatoes for potato salad for 30 minutes
STEP FOUR: Once corn and potatoes are nearing completion, grill your skewers
FOR THE POTATO SALAD (OVEN METHOD)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spread potatoes evenly onto a baking sheet
- Bake for 30 minutes until potatoes are hot and crispy on the edges
- In a medium bowl combine the horseradish garlic aioli, corn kernels, bacon, green onions and the warm potatoes.
- Toss until evenly combined.
- Place in a serving dish.
Optional BBQ method – Make a small 10×10 tinfoil tray and warm the potatoes on the BBQ. Oil the tinfoil, grill for 8-10 minutes or until they are warm and crispy.
FOR THE CORN
- Start by grilling the corn in the husk for 20-25 minutes – the husk will char but the corn will be sweet and delicious.
- Turn every 4-5 minutes.
- Pull the corn to the side to allow to cool enough to peel back the husk. Paint them with garlic aioli, season with blackening spice (labeled ‘B’) and garnish with feta and a squeeze of lime.
FOR THE SKEWERS
- Thaw the prawns by spreading them out on a plate at room temperature if using right away (this should take about 20 minutes) or in the refrigerator overnight
- Mix the garlic & parsley marinade and share it between the veggies and the protein. Add salt, pepper and the BBQ spice and mix well – let stand 30 minutes.
- Fire up the BBQ to preheat
- Skewer away
- Divide the protein between two of the skewers
- Don’t have all the pieces packed together, have the pieces just touching on the skewer. This promotes more even and quicker cooking (except for the chicken, we’ve taken care of this step for you!)
- Divide the veggies between two of the skewers – or mix it up
- Cut the lemon in half and place cut side down on the grill. Grill until lightly charred – approximately 4-5 minutes
- Grill the seasoned skewers – starting them on the hot spot of the grill
ProTip – Leave them alone for better results. They will char nicely if left alone. Closing the lid turns the BBQ into an oven and increases the temp.
For the protein skewers, cooking time will vary slightly with done-ness preference and with how powerful your BBQ is. Here are our suggestions:
- Chicken skewer: The chicken should be well-browned and have lightly charred edges, and should take approximately 8-9 minutes per side on a hot grill. This may take longer that the time indicated, depending on your BBQ.
Chef note – Make sure the chicken has GREAT caramelization on both sides. It is hard to overcook chicken thighs, so be brave!
- Steak skewer: Cook the steak to your desired doneness on the hottest part of your BBQ to maximize browning and flavour, approximately 6- 7 minutes per side on a hot grill.
- Prawn skewer: Cook them on a cooler spot of your BBQ as seafood requires a bit gentler heat. The prawns will be opaque and firm once cooked, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
To finish the skewers: Both the protein and the veggie skewers should be brushed with garlic butter to finish. Use the charred lemon to squeeze over the skewers.